There’s been a lot of news stories this week about developments in the growing Flagler Village section of Fort Lauderdale that have referenced their proximity to the Brightline train station. So we thought it would be timely to provide an update on construction of the train station that will serve as a connector to both…
Plan to Use Vacation Days With a Brightline Staycation
March 2, 2017
Last month was National Plan for Vacation Day, taking place on January 31, with the goal of encouraging Americans to declare their vacation days for the rest of the year. According to a recent study by Project: Time Off, 96 percent of respondents recognized the importance of using time off, yet there were still 41 percent of Americans asked who do not plan on using all their vacation days.
With busy schedules between work and family obligations, it can be difficult to schedule a week of vacation time. However, a weekend staycation is a great way to recharge and use a vacation day or two. Thanks to Brightline service beginning this summer, residents of Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties can explore their neighboring communities as part of a staycation and not have to fight Interstate 95 traffic.
“So many of us aren’t taking advantage of the vacation days available and thanks to Brightline, South Floridians have so many getaway options conveniently right on our doorstep,” shares Brightline Chief Marketing Officer Julie Edwards. “Taking vacation days makes you a healthier, happier and a more effective employee and exploring new and different areas of South Florida with Brightline is a great way to recharge.”
Below are a few suggested activities for a Brightline Staycation that promises to provide vacation health benefits and increased productivity once back at home or on the job. Residents in the tri-county area looking to explore their neighboring community to the north or south can simply leave the car in the driveway:
- Head south from the West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale Brightline station for a relaxing and comfortable train ride down to Miami-Dade. You even get to pick your seat before boarding, and you’ll have large windows to enjoy the scenery.
- Check-in at the classically restored Langford Hotel, just blocks from MiamiCentral or the urban chic SLS Brickell, a short transfer on the Metromover.
- Have dinner at Monger by the Voltaggio Brothers at CentralFare and enjoy locally sourced cuisine and the freshest seafood.
- In the mood for a show, see who is performing at the nearby Adrian Arsht Center or catch beautiful modern art pieces at the Perez Art Museum, both conveniently connected to the Metromover from MiamiCentral.
- Take me out the ball game at Marlins Stadium, which will be hosting the 2017 All-Star game this summer. If you’re lucky you might see Giancarlo Stanton hit it over the fence.
- Check-in to the classic Riverside Hotel on famed Las Olas Boulevard for a taste of why Broward residents are so proud of their largest city. Looking to stay on the beach, connect with a water taxi and sail to the beach with accommodations at the W Fort Lauderdale, with one of the best pool parties in town.
- Stroll the shops of Las Olas or take a water taxi to the Galleria Mall, satisfying the need for retail therapy. Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale, located near the Brightline station and situated along the New River also offers great browsing and people watching.
- There is almost always a wonderful performance on the stage of The Broward Center for the Performing Arts or an emerging band might be rolling out their first album at Revolution Live.
- Interested in hooking a big one? Charter a fishing boat for the day at a convenient Fort Lauderdale marina to see what is biting on the Gulf Stream.
- Sometimes there is nothing more relaxing than reading a book in the park. Enjoy the breezes at Esplanade Park, a quiet reprieve located just a short walk from the hustle and bustle of downtown Fort Lauderdale. Or take your bike with you onboard Brightline and peddle by the intracoastal waterways in the park
West Palm Beach:
- Leave your bags at the conveniently located new Hilton West Palm Beach, in the heart of downtown West Palm Beach or catch an Uber to the luxurious Breakers Hotel or Eau Palm Beach steps from the Palm Beach sand.
- Tee off at The Breaker’s Ocean Course, Florida’s oldest 18-hole course, featuring stunning views of Henry Flagler’s hotel and breathtaking glimpses of the Atlantic.
- Just up the street from the Brightline station, explore the shops, boutiques and cafes of City Place. Maybe catch a comedy show at the West Palm Beach Improv or bowl a strike at Revolutions.
- A staycation in downtown West Palm Beach isn’t complete without a walk down Clematis Street, featuring a variety of bars, cafes, restaurants and clubs to let off some steam.
- For a cultural experience, visit the world-renowned Norton Art Museum, famous for its Chihuly ceiling and regular after-dark social series aimed at millennial patrons.
“Living in South Florida we have the luxury of convenient attractions and accommodations many have to hop on a plane in order to enjoy,” continues Edwards. “I invite everyone to try Brightline, make it a part of their staycation plans and decrease work burnout this summer.”
So, what are you waiting for? Take the time to plan time off in advance. Fifty-one percent of those who plan took all of their vacation time, while just 39 percent of non-planners did (Project Time Off). The amount of time taken also shows a clear correlation to happiness at home. The more vacation days used, the lower the stress!
Brightline is an express, inter-city train that will connect Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach seamlessly, with future service to Orlando. Brightline’s brightly colored trains offer comfort and convenience, as well as complimentary Wi-fi and onboard snacks and beverages. Service begins this summer.
On To The Next Stop...
At Workshop b, a 12-acre campus in West Palm Beach, history is being made. The “b” stands for Brightline, the only privately-funded express passenger rail system in the U.S. And it is at this new maintenance, repair and storage facility that BrightBlue, the first of five innovative trainsets set to change the course of…